Ok, so this is a quickie post, dashed off before I rush out to a therapist appointment for one of the kiddles. This is, in a way, my public to-do list and a virtual accountability check for me. Because, you see, it’s really – oh boy is it – Christmas break now. Which means that all the kids are off of school and off of schedule. Which means, as you moms with kids with different needs know, that things are off kilter in a very very big way. And, you could say, as I have before, “Oh, well then, just make a new schedule!” Um, yeah. Kinda hard to do. I mean, there is a ROUGH schedule to the days: we wake, we have puppy duties, we have essential household tasks….but I have found that if I impose an “all new” holiday schedule onto the kids over break then we still have protest…because that is ‘change’. And change is it’s own trigger too. So, in essence, I’m burned, either way. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, if you will.
So, to that end, I’m strategizing online:
- I think I need to have a softly managed newer schedule sort of overlaid onto the days. I’ve already gone over today in detail with Marta, suggesting the way it will play out, in blocks of hours.
- Each day needs a highlight/goal activity: tonight is decorating the tree as a family, tomorrow will be…..cookies? I don’t know yet, but I”m thinking on it….
- Each day needs a walk with at least a few of the kids, Marta, Little Man, the puppy…maybe all the kids (tho a number of the kids need running for conditioning for basketball so that might be on tap too. But them, not me, my running days are done)
- Reading aloud each day? Maybe. The small boys and the new teens love it. Marta gets overwhelmed and frustrated, and retreats to her room…so not sure.
- Setting up a craft a couple of days this week? Suggestions? Ones that I don’t have to be involved in, more kid level/ability…because, while I was an art major, I hate crafts…..because I’m a total mom fail in that realm. I admit it. I own it. Don’t judge me.
- Shopping for Christmas. This is hugely important, they kids need to gift to each other. But Dad or Big Kids need to take them because I will want to commit Hari Kari if I do it. Just saying.
Ok, so that’s my disorganized brainstorm thoughts this morning. You can see I need help. If you have any great suggestions, let me know, especially you moms of kids who live/die by the rigidity of their need for schedules and organized time, and/or have trauma/need issues. I”m all ears and as you can see, just pedaling as fast as I can to figure it out. And, clearly, not there yet . Anyone???
And, as you’ve noticed, blogging is and will be sporadic, due to
crazy busy household insanity with the holidays our own little Norman Rockwell Christmas Shangri-la.