It’s my Little Man’s big birthday!
He is eight today! Whoa.
I asked him how he felt this morning, did he feel different, did he feel good? He said, “Yes, I feel excited!” And well he should. I told him eight is a GREAT year!
Eight is the year when you are past being a really little kid, you are kind of a middle kid. You’re not learning all the rights and wrongs anymore; mostly, you know ’em. You’re not caught up in the crazy hormones and boy/girl dramas. You don’t have to get a job yet. All ya gotta do is stay steady in school, do the usual chores, and be a kid…a happy kid. Play, preferably outside, a LOT. It’s a great time.
That, just that, is what my birthday wish for my boy. I wish for him to have a happy few years, starting today, of just “kid stuff.” I’m not sure I can give him that wish or make it come true. Life tends to be a bit more complicated than that it seems, and already for him it is, a bit. But even so…his heart and laugh can carry him a long long way to having a few really simple happy kid years and we are gonna do our best to help him make them happen.
So, today on his birthday I’ve just gotta list a few pointers on my Little Man:
- He is a happy, good boy,
- with a heart that is bigger than most any others,
- and a keen sense of justice.
- He has energy to burn,
- if our best scientists could figure out how to harness it, we’d solve the global energy crisis with the greenest energy going: his.
- He is crazy creative,
- a talented artist and budding musician, already.
- He is athletic and strong (and did I mention, energetic), and loving his basketball team and his teammates.
- He is not happy that the season is drawing to a close, he could play forever…
- and is gonna try.
- He is so fast.
- When he goes to steal the ball in a game and then rips off the other way with it, I can’t help but shout out, “GO! GO, GO!”
- He’s so fast and fun to watch play.
- He is so doggone smart, sometimes his warp speed mind spinning makes him distracted, but it’s because his attention and synapses run at Maserati speed.
- He is loving and sweet and, still – on the good days – writes me “love letters” or, even sweeter, talks them to me as we drive to/fro those practices.
- He is a night owl, the king of night owl’s.
- We need to find a career for him where this will be an asset, because this boy can’t seem to sleep much when the moon is high.
- He really does NOT like spiders or snakes, period.
- He is a great eater, especially if you are talking about cheeseburgers…not much better than a good cheeseburger in my son’s eyes.
- I could brag on this sweet son of mine forever, but I won’t.
- But I will kiss his head today and hug him tight, feed him basketball cake and clap when he blows out his eight candles,
- and I will wish for him a few really simple joyful happy years of kidhood…
- to revel in the crashing loud happy singing quiet muddy wondrous years of middle kid time.
My Anthony, he is eight today. He’s getting bigger at an astonishing rate; like they do. So I will spend this year trying to really see him, with clear eyes and heart. I will make sure we do all we can to have our hearts beat together, even as we shout and cheer him on through his fun middle kid years.
Happy Happy Eighth Birthday My Anthony.
We are SO very proud of you and we love you so!