…Sort of. Just slamming busy in a way that, oddly enough, I haven’t been before. Hoping to steal time to blog and find the groove again. Thanks~!
So, it’s the new year! Happy goodness, right!? Well, yeah. I had a great New Years Eve as I went out to see my dear Dad for his 80th bday and we had a whole big ol’ bash for the celebration, also joined to my sisters 55th bday; a double whammy. So it was a big deal. BIG fun. Full of laughs and goodness. Exhausting crazy pricelessness.
Now of course though, I’m in re-entry. This re-entry is doubled and magnified by the whole “new years resolution” tradition. Now, I’m not a resolver; not usually a “New Years Resolution” kind of gal. What kind of fool do you take me for? I know myself well enough to know that I can go on a tear, and then sputter out. My good intentions are like a firecracker: big show, big bang start, spit and sputter to a sad withered left behind ending. No surprise there. And, not so uncommon either, eh? But, I’m feeling the press. It might not last. But, I’m feeling the press of needing to impose more order on the bedlam of life here in the coffeehouse. So, for a few bright burning moments of this fresh new year, I’m brainstorming a bit. Yeah, got lots of qualifiers in this post. Hence the title, ricketly scaffolds….I know my attention will wane and wander. But, oh, how great to build a new, cleaner, smoother stronger scaffold for our family life! So, here goes the first brainstorming:
- I am looking at tighter budgets for groceries and sundries and such. I’m not so great at serious coupons, but can be frugal overall and am a scratch cook on the good days. And saving/freeing up cash, what’s not to love?
- I’m looking at time patterns and thinking of ways to cut dreck tv viewing (none on school nights anyhow, but how to ramp up the worthwhile programs while still engaging teen girls….anyone? The little boys are a snap to nudge into better content…the teens…now there is the challenge!) and improve the quality of media in the house.
- I’m thinking about my friend and her
terrifyinginspiring efforts at playful engagement…maybe another post there…still stewing. But, maybe: game on!
- I want to really dig in and order the house. I mean, I was just hanging out for the weekend at my folk’s house and it was a big deep inhale of clear clutter free air. So refreshing! Such envy! I mean, sure, they don’t have 8 + kids and various friends and visitors crashing about and all, dropping all manner of items in their wake, but even so…it’s a worthy goal, that ordered home, isn’t it? To open a closet without the threat of concussion? To peruse a shelf without having to bring a flashlight and crowbar to mine the depths? I think so. Surely, somehow I must have inherited just one or two of those purposeful organization neat freak genes, right? To that end, I am
dreamingthinking of going room by room and clearing, organizing, decluttering (don’t freak out Tom, I did this when you went to Haiti last time with the schoolroom/dining room and it was fabulous…but such a big job that I sputtered out after that one room). I want to find a way to purposefully, functionally order the things we need and use, the stuff we might want to access/use I want to neatly stow, and the stuff that we just tend to collect like weird hoarder magnets I want to give away and set free. I think I leave the kid bedrooms to the last, because that’s their personal space. It’s tempting to start with them, as they tend to be the worst hurricane sites, but even so, I think I need to start with either the public space or MY junk space, the art room (the catchall room that used to be a garage).
- And, last and maybe least, I’m thinking of moving my body more, more intentionally. By this I mean lasting, sustainable, intentional movement. Not back to my running days. My body still has chronic gripes from the beating it took from those long years on and off. But as I’m looking down the barrel at 50, this year, (I know, still shocks me too!) I am really thinking about longevity and pushing back the stiffness and soreness and tired. So I’m thinking stretches and walking and such. Not to sound like an old fogey…but those are where I get lazy. I’m really pretty strong from all the hefting and toting and whatnot that just IS in my daily life. I walk fast, and zip around…but I think I might need to be better at keeping flexibility and endorphins cranking.
So, rambling finished for now. Any of you, especially you larger families, out there have any great tips for organizing genius ideas or simplifying households or market or whatever, please leave a comment! Especially regarding the teen media issue…it just keeps getting harder and harder to raise kids without the sludge of the culture taking too big a hold. I told ya, I’m brainstorming! As I said, these are just a rickety scaffold of ideas and things I’m turning around in my head. I might just bail on it all as life starts cranking up again, oh, this afternoon. But, now that I’ve made it semi official by throwing the brainstorm online…I can remind myself when my energy flags!
Happy New Year to All!
Advent begins tomorrow!
It feels early this year, but I suppose that can’t be. Once again, it’s sorta snuck up on me and I’m feeling all behind before I even begin. Yikes. So, to that end, today I’m going to mindfully try to prep my interior self to accept my inevitable winding sloppy stumble through this season of Advent. By which I mean, I already KNOW I’m not gonna be as prepped as I hoped to be. I do NOT have the christmas list finished, heck, it’s not even begun…I”m still in a minor denial of it and a squinting gaze of “Hmmm, how best to tackle this, this year?” This year is a bit untethered; there are changes this year inside and out. We are in the midst of a noticeable, keenly observed, evolution (Which is to say that we all are in the midst of the unmarked evolution, all the time, right? But this year, I’m seeing feeling marking it).
So, here’s what I know: The big: in our Church we go to new, more precise, liturgical phrasing and a revamp of the missal, the liturgy of the Mass in order to better direct our hearts souls and prayer vertically – toward the holy, the divine. It will increase our awareness of the sacred, right here, right now, and beyond. How exciting is that? I’m sure a whole ‘nother post to come on that one, it’s that big.
The other big: my eldest is having his first Christmas with his “new family:” his Dominican family. And while I might leak a tear here and there, and try to push (with fluctuating success) the blues that threaten to buffet me from missing him….I want him to have a really happy holiday season and just relish his new traditions. I want him to savor the richness and goodness in these beautiful new traditions, to laugh at the quirks of his new family/companions, and to really enjoy and appreciate these holidays. I think he did for Thanksgiving, I heard it in his voice and it made me very happy and answered my simple but fervent prayer of the day. I want only the same for him for Christmas and Advent…and that’s the same as I claimed for myself when I started out on my own and began my own, now much loved, holiday traditions.
The smaller, but also so important: I want to accept my inevitable inability to “do it all” and not let that tank my holiday happy before it even settles in. I want to TRY to get most of it sort of figured out and/or taken care of this coming week (Bwah ha ha ha! – hey a gal can dream!) and then I want to slow down (My friend Zoe, she inspires me). I want to read and be PRESENT and just soak in the richness of this season. I fail every year. But, hope springs eternal and I’m hoping, once again.
So the stuff:
- I will link if I can to the UCSSB Advent Calendar, daily, because it’s a goodie and has other cool links to follow too.
- You know that there will be a glut of Catholic stuff, great saint feasts this month and just because golly, it’s Advent and that’s what it’s all about, right? That’s why this season is so great!
- I have some adoption updates and managing through the season, the landmines, kind of thoughts rattling around in my head.
- I have life in general posts, and lets not forget this month/season begins the bithday-palooza calendar in my house, so you’ll be seeing a bunch of bday posts.
- I have to put up wreaths, but not too soon as we keep them up til Candlemass
- Need to help Coffeedoc find a fir tree to cut that is LESS than three hours drive away, as the kids are in mutiny regarding the
- Need to get our Advent candles ready – done (hooray, a first!)
So you see, I have a lot of stuff rattling around in my head. And instead of waiting to come up with profound or pithy posts, I think the only way for me to simply and mindfully wend my way through this season is, oddly enough, to sort it out through typing and posting. Only then, perhaps will I be able to declutter my brain and find the silence and slow there too. So, thanks in advance for enduring if you will.
It’s the advent of Advent. I love this season, not for the surface, but for the deep. Exciting times ahead!