Oh, my baby is five. And he has told my “It’s my birthday!” today, oh, 83 times I think so far. And it’s only 8 am. He says it with wonder and mild surprise, every time. It makes me laugh. Happily, he also dives in for a hug each and every time; which makes me grin. Because yup, it’s my baby’s birthday, and he is five. Oh happy happy day, to be five.
He is no baby, anymore. He will be quick to tell you that. And I will be quicker still to tell you he will always be my baby. But, be that as it may…he’s a rough and rowdy five year old now!
Happy Birthday to my Gabriel!
You came to us, and we to you, when you were just a tiny little toddler. And now you have grown into a loud busy wild sweet funny smart big boy. For your birthday today we will sing songs, take you to your buddy’s party (thanks Beck!) and celebrate double. We will cook hot dogs and serve spiderman cake tonight. We will clap and cheer and hug you tight all day long, for your big birthday.
And so, on your fifth birthday, here is what I see:
- I see a little boy who runs FAST and jumps high and laughs hard:
- who loves to make jokes
- and funny faces
- and go places, most ANY places will do.
- I see a big boy who just loves silly things,
- and be mischievous; as is proper to any true five year old.
- I see a boy who is literally too big for his britches,
- but still loves a cuddle,
- especially at bedtime and first thing in the morning…
- unless you’re the dog, and then it’s a cuddle and a nuzzle, anytime!
- I see a big boy who loves superheroes,
- especially spiderman and batman,
- who is learning to read and write his name,
- but isn’t too too interested in numbers, yet…
- unless we are counting cookies!
- My big boy loves to play outside, swim, ride bikes and scooters, and play basketball and jump on the trampoline…
- but he also loves loves to watch tv (oy).
- Happily, he loves to also listen to stories and begs me to keep going when it’s time to stop.
- He still has the little crinkle on his nose when he smiles,
- and he knowingly uses it to charm…most everyone.
- My big boy still has, and I hope he keeps, his sensitive heart.
- It is a big softie of a heart, but it has a little bit of a carefully constructed turtle shell around it too.
- We try to keep extra special care of that precious part of him.
- Because his heart, it’s tied to each and every one of ours….
- our lives would be so much paler and poorer if we missed our Gabe.
- Because this big rowdy five year old big boy…..?
We are crazy about him!
So, happy happy happy happy happy Birthday to our Gabey!
It’s an exciting day and we love you so!
Did you hear that? It’s his birthday! What d’ya know? Too fun!